Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Remember Whensday

A long, long time ago in the far distant past, when I was too young to join Brownies I was allowed to go as an Elf and sit under the Toadstool and feel tremendously important to be there with the BIG kids.

After I got old enough to graduate from being a Toadstool sitter I got to be a full fledged Brownie.

Brownies was a serious organization, - it involved getting badges and learning to tie knots.

I don't think Brownies learn those things any more, but they do learn to be good citizens, and luckily for them they wear some pretty nice casual clothes, that gives them the distinction of being a Brownie but not the itchiness of those long stockings!

Here I am, with them bunched around my knees, circa 1933......



That's me on the right!!

6 comments:

  1. How cute is that picture!!!
    ... I'm delighted by your descriptions; (the) magic of elves and toadstools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Brownies and working for my badges! I didn't know there was an Elf status too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!! I was a Brownie in 1955-1957 when I flew up to be a full-fledged Girl Scout. Great memories. I don't remember there being elves in the 1950s, but maybe there were. I too loved earning badges....I wasn't so good at knot-tying, but I don't recall that being emphasized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful post! I loved how you were an Elf first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think I was only an Elf because my mother was involved, and it was a good place to put me - under the Toadstool. Don't think it was an official position, - just one of convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I was never a brownie or a girl scout, but I was a girl scout leader for 8 years when my girls were growing up. I had lots of fun as a leader. I'm glad you shared this photo.

    ReplyDelete